neljapäev, 21. aprill 2016

Combo breaker

I couldn't remember what language I used for the previous post and had to check. I should use more time with Estonian. I didn't even think about the language, just typed. Right now sticking to English because of the flow.
I am reading a book in Estonian right now so that's ok. It's Täheaeg 8(?). Yesterday night I read a story by Siim Veskimees (so hope I'm not getting names mixed up right now, if I am, I'll fix it later, otherwise, it'll stay :P) and it left me somewhat disgusted. Efhsdfg. I mean, I know a lot of Estonian sci-fi writers have stupid views (Hargla thought that buying milk with Russian writing on it was awful because reasons and loads of them are racist homophobes and not even sorry about it.) but they usually leave it out of the writing. This story had a character whose views were, let's say, slightly off and then there was a black character and the communication between the main character and him just left me almost literally disgusted. I don't even know what to say about it. I think that I never want to read anything written by S.V. ever again.
And. And. To top it all off, in the end, the main character (man in his 40s) had sex with a 16 year old girl (who was, of course, a virgin) and the character said something along the lines that it was perfectly fine because she had wanted it and she was old enough to know what's what.
(And yes, sex positivism is a thing and having active female characters is good (she wasn't really a character, just the token girl at the end of the story, but I meant active as in she sort of initiated the thing. But it left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I would never have published that story. Maybe (maybe) on online magazine for free but never ever should the writer have gotten any money out of it. Bleh. I was constantly on the side of the story's "baddies" (who were, oh, let me think the fucking UN who wanted to deal with dangerous criminals with nukes who wanted to (illegally) live on the moon and in space so that they could get away from all those political-correctness-gone-mad gays that were taking over the Earth and so it was justified to bomb NATO forces. (There's more to it, it's a large fictional universe but I've read only this and maybe a few other short stories about it, so it's a bit vague for me.) Yeah, nope. I created a version in my head where the story's "good guys" lose so I can have peace with it.
...and they were all brought to trial, found guilty and went to prison. A Norway style nice prison where they spent minimum of 10 years filled with lots of leisure time, cooking their own food and becoming a proper human being. After getting released they got average jobs and lived average lives, regretting the time spent away from families and raising their children to be caring and nice people who wouldn't repeat the same mistakes they made. The end.

Kommentaare ei ole: